3D Skeletal System: 5 Cool Facts about the Femur
The femur is an awesome bone—and not just because it has a cool name.
1. The femur is the longest bone in the body.
2. The femur is a weight-bearing bone.
3. The greater trochanter provides leverage for gluteal muscles and other muscles that rotate the thigh.
4. The medial femoral condyle bears more weight due to the center of gravity being medial to the knee.
5. Being a long bone, the femur contains both red and yellow marrow.
Want to see more?
All the images and most of the content from this blog are from Skeleton Premium, an app for your PC, Mac, iPad/iPhone. Sign up for our newsletter and get information about sales, product upgrades, free preview versions of our apps, and free e-books (like this one on the sphenoid).
- 3D Skeletal System: Atlas, Axis, and the Atlanto-Axial Relationship
- 3D Skeletal System: Function of the Sphenoid
- 3D Skeletal System: The Pelvic Girdle
- Skeleton Premium